Think of QR codes in similar terms as a Universal Product Code (UPC), except UPC's can only represent numbers. QR codes can be used to represent text, web addresses and other data. A quick download from BlackBerry App World will enable QR functionality on your BlackBerry device. Aim your camera phone at a QR code, and your smartphone does the rest!
Scanning QR Codes on the BlackBerry
Most BlackBerry devices now come with BlackBerry Messenger preinstalled. If you already have the newest version of BlackBerry Messenger on your device you're ready to scan QR codes. If you do not have the latest version of BlackBerry Messenger, you must download BlackBerry Messenger from the BlackBerry App World:
Please read through the following instructions before downloading BlackBerry Messenger, or bookmark this page so you can find us again easily.
- Download the latest version of BlackBerry Messenger from BlackBerry App World.
- Open up BlackBerry Messenger.
- Choose “Scan a Group Barcode”
- Hold your phone about a foot away from the QR (depending on the QR's size and clarity).
- No need to click; slowly move your camera closer or further away, pausing as needed, until the software alerts you by sounding a tone.
- The URL address will be displayed on screen, choose Yes to visit the web address in your browser.
Download BlackBerry Messenger now! Remember to bookmark us in case you need help.
Can I Scan QR Codes on Other Devices?
Yes! Most smartphones, such as Android and the iPhone, are able to take advantage of QR technology. Check out our QR How-To pages for Android and iPhone, or come back to http://webtivitydesigns.com/help/QR/ from your other device to be automatically redirected to the appropriate page.